I've been so busy in training lately, it's hard to even have time to breathe. Exciting things have been happening though:
1) saw my second scorpion. This time it was in my room, right over my bed. It was strange because, according to my family, "scorpions don't live here." please. this sucker was HUGE, and I made my host sister kill it because I was too afraid. I am starting to realize that Ill have to get over my scorpion phobia. baby steps?
2) I am known in my community as the girl who always buys chocolate. guilty. I probably buy chocolate at least once a day. but the good news, the store owners are starting to capitalize on this and now the little corner store chocolate selection has doubled! supply and demand works in my favor. minus the fact that my clothes are getting a little too tight....eh, what can I do?
3) We are almost almost almost done with training, and then, god willing, I will be able to swear in as a volunteer! I swear in on December 17.
4) I found out my site assignment. This news is huge, because I know where I am going to be living for the next 2 years of my life. I am being sent to a small town (read: 300 people) right outside of a larger town, Upala. It is really close to the Nicaraguan border, and is hot and flat and humid. There are a lot of rivers in the region, and its close to some active volcanoes. I will be working with three elementary schools in three different communities. I am going to visit my community this week. Im leaving on Saturday morning, and will be there for five days. Ill take pictures that I will put on facebook sometime in the next few months. I am going to get to meet my host family, and I am super nervous. All I know about them so far is that there is a mom and a dad. I dont think there are any kids at home, and Im not sure how old my host parents are. I anticipate it being very different from my current host family situation. Even though it's just me and my grandma and sister who live in the house, at any given moment 6am-8pm there are at least 5+ people hanging out in the kitchen, watching TV, sitting on the porch. My house is the social gathering place for all of my extended family, and there is always someone to talk to, some gossip being spread, and some coffee brewing. Its going to be hard to leave el Rosario.
5) I made "rice krispy treats" for my family. I wanted to make them a little treat, and I thought it would be nice. It didn't turn out horrible, but it was far from the rice krispy treats of my childhood....and lets admit it, my adulthood, too. In Costa Rica they sell these colored, flavored marshmallows, that are like jet-puff marshmallows...sort of....but also not. They are lime/lemon/orange/strawberry flavored. and they are delicious, don't worry, but its not the same. Also, I couldn't find any rice-krispy like cereal, but I did find a fruit-loop like cereal. So, I figured hey: fruit loops would go great with tropical marshmallows! right! right? well. my family didn't know the difference, and they pretended to like it. that was sweet of them.
6) for thanksgiving, the PCTs in my training community made a thanksgiving dinner at one of our host families houses. We made greenbean caserole, mashed potatoes, stuffing, turkey, apple pie, and cookies (guess who thought up the ingenious idea to make cookies!). The dinner was such a success. Mostly because the food was delicious...but also because my training community is starting to feel like my family, and it was
No comments:
Post a Comment