Friday, December 24, 2010

Feliz Navidad

I am in my new site, just got here a few days ago. I am happy to say that I have a cell phone now, so, the new and best way to reach me is at 8627 6269. To call from the US you have to dial 011 506 8627 6269 to reach me. I am working on setting up a PO Box, more info on that to come.

My site is really different than my training community. It is hot and mostly flat, some minor hills, but it is really really flat and nice and warm (hot) and humid. There is a little sloth who hangs out in the backyard sometimes. There is a tree that hangs over the river that he likes a lot.

So in my back yard we have two rivers. As my Uncle explained to me, one is the crocodile river and the other is the swimming river. The crocodile river is more like a swamp and the water is really slow moving, and as we were walking by we heard a crocodile plop into the water. The swimming river is about 100 feet from the crocodile river. Apparantly the crocs dont swim in that river because the water goes pretty fast. I asked my Uncle, ¨really, the crocodiles never swim in the other river¨ He said ¨no, only sometimes, but they are really timid and are afraid of people, they only bite if you step on them. this river is safe to swim in.¨ uh huh, well see. So far I have not gone swimming in the swimming river. Maybe much later.

Other fun animals we have:
monkeys! I saw a litle black monkey hanging by his tail when I went on a run the other day. He was eating some fruit I can´t yet identify. There are lots of new fruits here

Lizzards! we have the kind that run accoss the water, I saw one on a different run.

Birds! in excess! my host family has a bird feeder and lots of beuatiful birds I can´t yet identify come to our house all day long. Ive been trying to take pictures of them, but they are camera shy.

I got to go to a pineapple farm and see how pinapples grow. they look really funny. i will go back and take a picture of the little baby pineapple plants.

Merry Christmas? It doesn´t really feel like Christmas because its so hot and foreign. But I guess it is anyway. I am going to make snickerdoodles for my family tonight, share some culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment