Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Ride for your Life!

Tomorrow I’m going to ride my bike to the Nicaraguan border, turn it around, and head south to Panama. By next week, I should be passed out on an island in Panama. That’s my plan, at least.

I’ve been reluctant to talk about this trip with friends and family from home. I’ve been too scared that I’ll jinx it or that something will fall through. But it looks like it’s actually happening, so I’m making this very public announcement to let you all know where I’ll be and what I’m up to.

For the past 4 months my friends Marissa, Katherine, and I have been organizing a cross country bike trip for Peace Corps staff and volunteers. We have 2 goals: (1) to inspire healthy lifestyle choices in PCVs and Costa Ricans and (2) to ride our bikes across Costa Rica. As we bike across the country we will be stopping in various communities to give workshops on nutrition, exercise, and drug awareness. There are about 20 staff and volunteers who plan to participate in the trip. And if all goes right we should reach the Panamanian border at the end of 6 biking days. We start our trip about 40k from my community and will bike over 425k of Costa Rican roadway to the Panama border crossing at Sixaola. The route crosses over some steep mountains, but luckily the last few days are relatively flat.

The PC Costa Rica office has been incredibly supportive of this idea. They are offering us 2 (yes, 2!) support vehicles that will accompany us. So, mom, I don’t want you to worry. The staff has got our back and will be there in case we get sick, run into bike trouble, or forget to put on our reflective vests.

I’m so excited that all the planning is behind us and all the riding is up ahead! It’s been a lot of work- and I can’t wait to get my bike on the road tomorrow.

Wish us luck because here we go!

3 comments:

  1. AWESOME!!!!!!! I hope to get to ride my bike in foreign countries some day! GO, JULIA, GO!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way cool Julia. I am living vicariously through you and your friends/colleagues. Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful, Julia! It'll be a memorable experience!

    ReplyDelete