So, I´m outside of my host parents little store, and a lady rides up on her motorcycle. ¨come here for a minute¨she says. ¨me?¨ I have to clarify. ---I am always shocked when people ask for me, personally. It makes me endlessly happy when people remember my name and know a little about me, but when a total stranger knows about me, it makes me feel less invisible, and I know that I am making some kind of headway at making a name for myself in the community.----´
¨yes, you, are are Julia right, the Peace Corps volunteer?¨
holy crap she knows my name AND she knows that I work for Peace Corps.
this is a great start to the conversation. so we get to talking and she tells me that she works for World Vision, one of the biggest NGOs in the world of development and child services. They have a branch in Upala, which is where she works from. She, Mary, told me that World Vision wants to have an art workshop in Chimurria for the kids in the community while they are on vacation, and asked me if I would be interested in helping them.
(Really, she knows my name, the peace corps, and she is helping find ways to help the community, I am exctatic)
So, I get to lead an art workshop for the kids in my community, and World Vision supplies the art supplies and finds the space. We had our first little art workshop last friday, and we will sart again this wednesday. It is only for 3 days and we have two groups. One for 3 hours in the morning and one for 3 hours in the afternoon.
If you have ever seen me draw, you might doubt my abilities to lead an art workshop, but I am telling you it was so much fun, and the kids loved it. I am kind of short of ideas on what to do with them next class, I might have to resort to making turkeys from traced hands, or maybe make fortune tellers. So if you have any ideas on fun kids art projects, let me know!
side note- I am getting really homesick, and its hard to keep myself motivated some days. Some days I have fun art workshops to lead, and others I just wander around the community looking for people to talk to. This job, my life in Costa Rica, is harder than I anticipated. When school starts I will at least be busy enough to forget about my homesickness for a while. But keeping my mind off of something only works temporarily, it doesn´t really solve the problem. I think the only way to cure homesickness is to feel at home in my community. That will take time, I know, you can´t just arrive somewhere and make it home. but, I wish it were a little easier. They have told us from the beginning that the first 3 months are the hardest. I don´t think I really imagined how hard it would be. Being alone in my community is way different than being in training with all my friends. Well, at least I have one month down. Two more to go, right? I am putting a lot of hope on month 4. --
Until then, I am trying to take life one day at a time, and looking for joy in the little things. Any other ideas to kick homesickness and to feel more at home in Chimurria are more than welcome.
lots of love,
Julia
Julia, Love your blog! We sent you a Christmas Card, but it was to your Peace Corp PO Box. I hope you get it. When does school start? Hang in there, you will be making a difference!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Aunt Maureen
Nature art is always fun...have the kids go outside and find a twig or a leaf or anything small that fits in their hands. Then, have them pick something from nature that they think looks cool. Once they have a subject, they have to paint it using their previously chosen small natural object...and *only* that! After their first picture, then the kids can work together, swaping the small objects to create more definition on their second picture. We used this at camp to teach the kids to think outside the box and to work together.
ReplyDeleteWe also liked Potato Prints (carving a potato and using it as a stamp), having the kids make up their own animal (make it super detailed and share it with the rest of the class), and making wizard hats and wands (just takes paper and a stick plus decorations-this was around the time Harry Potter was coming out). Just look at what you have to work with, and I am sure an idea will come to you!
Hi Julia! What age range are you looking for suggestions for art projects? I have lots of examples for 4-5 year-olds. The girls recently made robots out of recycled materials (cereal boxes, empty tp rolls, cans, etc. that were fun. Let me know if you have any themes, too - I have more ideas!
ReplyDeleteHey Julia:
ReplyDeleteYou are doing great and we are so proud of you. We are already planning our trip to come see you and your new world!
Let us know of anything you need. I think the homesickness will pass -- also that everybody goes thru some form of it after college no matter where they are. Kind of a right of passage!
We love you.
Mom
Aunt Maureen! I just got your Christmas card, thank you! And school starts tomorrow!
ReplyDelete